Sunday 10 August 2014

Reading history from the past year


Recently noticed that it's been a little over a year since updating a list of books read outside of Japanese translations, so here's a list of what I've been reading -


Patrick Suskind - The Pigeon
D.B.C Pierre - Vernon God Little
Diego Marani - New Finnish Grammar
Gabriel Josipovici - Everything Passes
Paul Leppin - Severin's Journey into the Dark
Vladimir Odoevsky - Two Days in the Life of the Terrestrial Globe
Ferdinand von Schirach - The Collini Case
Andre Brink - The Blue Door
Jerzy Andrzejewski - The Appeal
Jorge Luis Borges - Seven Nights
Mary Butts - Armed With Madness
Gert Ledig - Payback
Denton Welch - A Voice Through A Cloud
W.G Sebald and Jan Peter Tripp - Unrecounted
Bruno Schulz - Sanatorium Under the Sign of the Hourglass
Andrey Platonov - The Foundation Pit
Tao Lin - Eeeee Eee Eeee
Pierre Michon - Small Lives
Rene Crevel - Babylon
Georges Bataille - Story of the Eye
Andre Malraux - The Walnut Trees of Altenburg
Ted Hughes - The Hawk in the Rain
J.D Salinger - For Esme - With Love and Squalor
Marghanita Laski - The Victorian Chaise Longue
Denton Welch - In Youth is Pleasure
Sandor Marai - Esther's Inheritance
Maruerite Yourcenar - Alexis
Geroge Simenon - The Little Man From Archangel
Charles Simic - Selected Poems
Cicely Hamilton - William - An Englishman
Ernst Junger - Eumeswil
John Williams - Stoner
Jeremias Gotthelf - The Black Spider
Marguerite Dumas - Writing
John Cheever - Falconer
Adolfo Bioy Casares - The Invention of Morel
Henri Barbusse - Under Fire
Herbert Read - The Green Child
Sylvia Plath - The Bell Jar
Erico Verissimo - Night
Igor Vishnevetsy - Leningrad
Sylvia Plath - The Colossus
Andre Gide - Strait is the Gate
Odon von Horvath - Youth Without God
David Edmonds and John Eidinow - Wittgenstein's Poker
Greg Baxter - Munich Airport
Clarice Lispector - The Passion According to G.H
Alexander Lernet-Holenia - I Was Jack Mortimer 
Antal Szerb - The Third Tower
Clarice Lispector - Near to the Wild Heart
Thornton Wilder - The Bridge of San Luis Rey
Italo Calvino - Under the Jaguar Sun
Clarice Lispector - Hour of the Star
Pierre Drieu la Rochelle - The Comedy of Charleroi and Other Stories
Italo Svevo - As a Man Grows Older
Jean Cocteau - The Difficulty of Being
Jean Genet - Funeral Rites
Paolo Volponi - The Worldwide Machine
Colette - The Ripening Seed

I guess this year's discovered author for me has been Clarice Lispector, I've a copy of Agua Viva on the way, and then perhaps afterwards I'm going to turn to her recent biography by Benjamin Moser. Recently I've I think my reading has changed in pattern, I feel that I'll get hooked by an author and then feel that I have to read their available works, perhaps this started after reading Lispector, but after reading Genet again recently I'll turn to his other novels, although I read Miracle of a Rose years ago I feel it's time to check out his other novels, with regards to Japanese authors, Soseki and Abe Kobo are two authors that I feel that I still need to catch up with their works. Another French novelist that I'd like to turn to is Jean-Louis Curtis, whose The Forest Of The Night, translated by Nora Wydenbruk, I'm aiming to read soon, which apparently is available to read online.     


No comments: